My Yahoo Mail Account Has Been Hacked – What do I do?
First, correctly identify that your Yahoo Mail account has indeed been hacked.
If your password is no longer working, then that is an obvious tell. Double-check that you are typing the correct password, taking note of upper and lower cases, numbers, special characters, and that you leave out any spaces.
Yahoo Mail will also occasionally prompt you to change your password. This does not mean that your Yahoo Mail account has been hacked.
Otherwise, go through the following list:
Signs of a hacked Yahoo Mail Account.
- You are not receiving any emails.
- Your Yahoo Mail is sending out spam to your contacts.
- You see logins from unexpected, foreign locations on the recent activity page.
- Your account info or email settings has been changed without your knowledge.
Check your Yahoo Mail settings
Hackers may change the settings in your Yahoo Mail account settings.. Check the most commonly changed settings:
- Email filters – Have new filters have been created?
- Sending name – Has your sending name been changed?
- Email signature – Has your email signature been changed?
- Reply-to address – Are replies to your emails going to the right inbox?
- Send-only address – Has a Send-only address been added or changed?
- Vacation response – Have any unfamiliar automatic replies have been set up?
- Default sending address – Check that the address that pre-populates in the “From” field is correct.
- Blocked addresses – Check that addresses blocked that you want to get email from are not blocked.
- Auto-forwarding address – Check that your email is not forwarding emails to any unfamiliar email addresses.
What to do If your Yahoo Mail account has been hacked.
If you have access to your email account, then check your email settings and change your password.
I have access to my Yahoo Mail recovery email or recovery phone number.
If you have access to your recovery email or recovery phone number, do the following:
- Visit the Sign In Helper at: https://login.yahoo.com/forgot?
- Enter your recovery email or recovery phone number.
- A verification code will be sent to you.
- Enter the verification code and click on “Continue”.
- Once logged in, change your password.
I DON’T have access to my Yahoo Mail recovery email or recovery phone number.
If your Yahoo Mail account has been hacked, and you don’t have access, do the following:
- Visit https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index?page=home&locale=en_US&y=PROD_ACCT
- Choose “Accounts” from the dropdown window and enter your Yahoo Mail ID.
- Solve the Capcha.
- Choose “Hacked Accounts”.
- On the “Tell us more about the issue” page, choose an option:
- Don’t Have Access to Alternate Email.
- Getting an Invalid Password Message.
- Receive Alert that I didn’t Request.
- Spam is Being Sent from my Account.
- Unable to Verify my Secret Question.
- Then, click on “Email a Yahoo Specialist”.
- Enter the Yahoo ID or Yahoo email address you are contacting Yahoo about.
Enter the Email address that you have access to. Yahoo will contact you using this email address. Verify that you can access this email account.
- Re-enter the email address that Yahoo should use to reach you on. Yahoo will be contacting you at that email address.
- Enter your First Name.
- Enter a Detailed description of issue. Do not enter any personal information like Social Security number (SSN), driver’s license number, passport number , credit card number, or a Yahoo password in the form.
- Wait for a reply.
Can’t have access to my Yahoomail
I cannot receive messages for my Yahoo email account.